Ten of the Best Books on Gratitude
Posted by admin , on Sep, 2018
It is a bit unfortunate that some important words get bantered around in popular trends from time to time. Gratitude is one such word and though it is a hot topic in the worlds of psychology and mental health, it is important that you take the time to figure out why it is such a strong and commonly used term. Once you begin to understand the “why” behind gratitude, you will also want to delve into some of the best books on gratitude, too. Below are ten such books, but before we start listing those best books on gratitude, let’s take a moment to understand why gratitude itself is so important.
In Full Disclosure! I received so much help from my practice of gratitude during my “Dark Night of the Soul” period in my life that it has since become a life long practice I start every single day with, end every my day and aim to appreciate as much about life as I can all day long. This led to me writing: Living Gratitude: A Simple Path to Happiness. You can see more about it here on my website:
With that out of the way….It was Emerson who told us that we needed to “Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously.” He didn’t mean only for things that come to you but also because so much has contributed to you becoming who you are – the good and bad. Yes, you must even feel an authentic sense of gratitude towards the pains and struggles.
While gratitude and appreciation are similar, they are not identical and at the heart of gratitude is happiness. Five minutes each day of thinking about, journaling about or acting out on gratitude will bring immense rewards. There are huge lists of the physical, emotional and spiritual benefits to be gained by actively being grateful, and so you will want to learn as much as you can about it.
These are Ten of the best books on gratitude and they’ll certainly help your study of how this life changing practice can work in your life.
1. 365 Thank Yous: The Year a Simple Act of Daily Gratitude Changed My Life by John Kralik
2. A Simple Act of Gratitude: How Learning to Say Thank You Changed My Life by John Kralik
3. Gratitude by Oliver Sacks
4. One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp
5. Thankful by Eileen Spinelli
6. Thanks! How the New Science of Gratitude Can Make You Happier by Robert Emmons
7. The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are by Brené Brown
8. The Gratitude Diaries: How a Year Looking on the Bright Side Can Transform Your Life by Janice Kaplan
9. The Psychology of Gratitude by Robert Emmons and Michael McCullough
10. Words of Gratitude for Mind, Body, and Soul by Robert Emmons and Joanna Hill
Add the best books on gratitude to your bookshelf and if you wish to learn more about the benefits of gratitude, read Matt’s book on Gratitude or contact Matt O’Grady Coaching where you’ll find blog post, guided meditations, and full-blown coaching options.